Monday, January 14, 2013

T is for...

I belong to an online Cervical Cancer support group, that is closed to the general public, even these women's husbands and other family members cannot see what they post. It is refreshing to be able to ask as well as answer questions without fear of judgement and embarrassment. Because, let's face it, having cancer in the never-nether regions is not always the easiest thing to talk about. Unless, you are me and are finding it easier and easier every day. There are even many women that have such a limited support group in their actual daily lives, that this has become a main ballast holding them up throughout treatment.

I don't visit the group every day, and I feel guilty about that. I find I lack the emotional stamina, nor the treasure trove of wit it would take to make it a daily venture. Some women are five, ten years into this disease and are on the page simply to offer advice and comfort. I do my best, but some days like today are more difficult. See, women die. Women that have been fighting for years, still don't make it and their friend that is also going through the same ordeal, alerts the rest of us. The rest of us making doctor's appointments, taking showers, hugging grandchildren, taking down Christmas decorations and checking the page for friends we've made, to see how their day was.

January is Cervical Cancer Awareness Month, and many of the women in this group have changed their profile pictures to something teal, which is the color chosen to represent cervical cancer. I typically don't truck with such movements, not even for my own bandwagons, but I did today. I find that it is not only telling you my story, it is telling you theirs. Maybe, if you hear me, you will do what is necessary for your own health, before you find you are having to join a group like this yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bun

The Bun
If you don't like rabbits, you can suck it, shove it and then go soak your head.