Friday, November 14, 2014

Reception

Today was my six month check-up with Dr. Soisson at Huntsman.  Of course, my wonderful and supportive Mother was there.  I couldn't have done any of this without her.  The visit was hopeful, quick and pretty much painless.  I haven't been using my dialaters so he was teasing me by showing everyone how he had to use the tiniest speculum he had.  Of course there were students and residents in the room so they had to get my back story, check out my scars and radiation tattoos, talk about Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and some of the new issues that go along with having EDS.

Most recently I dislocated my ribs on the left side and I'm just in ridiculous pain.   It was in full force today during my visit, with my left leg as well.  I told him about how my physical therapist has tried to gently put my ribs back into place but ever since then I've had (get ready for it) a buzzing butthole.  A Buzzhole.  So, apparently the song should go "The ribcage's connected to the butthole."  Needless to say, everyone was laughing and he doesn't feel it's connected to my cancer diagnosis.  He feels strongly that if my cancer would have come back it would already have done so.

As I'm at the check out desk waiting for my next appointment I made a joke to my Mom "Well, that was like the WHAM BAM, Thank you ma'am of pelvic exams."  The receptionist starts laughing so hard she starts crying.  We talk about what a great Doc he is and then I say "It's not really appropriate to say he gives great pap, but truth is he does."  She agrees and said you'd rather have people say that than complain.

Then, even after all of that, all the ridiculous amounts of pain I'm in, the grunts and squirming faces, the inappropriate talk and giggling, the receptionist comes back and looks me right in face and declared "You are just so pretty."  It took my breath away. My mouth hung open and then I started to cry. I thanked her and said what a kind thing to say, because for the past two weeks I have felt anything but pretty.

Now I'm home, in bunny hair covered sweats.  Maybe a little high.  But, I tell you all.  I feel beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bun

The Bun
If you don't like rabbits, you can suck it, shove it and then go soak your head.