Saturday, November 9, 2013

Live to Hope

For those of you that know my parents, well you know how fantastically wonderful of a cook my Mother is and my Dad ain't too shabby.  Well this week we got some news about my Mom's health that is going to change the diet in their house and I am excited about how excited my Mom is to have an opportunity to make things better.  So she can get better.

My Mom is going vegetarian.  Go ahead, sit down, have a drink, do what you have to do.  She is going to the U of U Wednesday for an Angiogram and possibly a stint for a blockage in her heart.  But the biggest and most hands on action she is taking is tackling diet.  Over the last couple of days she has been going through my vegan/vegetarian cookbooks getting recipes for meals she never thought possible.  But what has been really invaluable is the book Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman.  If any of you have had an actual conversation with me, you know how much I love this book and what struck me last night was my Mom saying how she had "seen how much it had worked for me." 

I want my Mom around forever.  In fact I have given her specific instructions to never die.  I also realize how ridiculous such an order is.  Yet I am hopeful.  Hopeful that my Dad will be on the Healthy Food Team because he will do whatever it takes.  Hopeful that my Mom finding more and more healthful eating options as FUN and tasty options will make this transition less of a challenge.  Hopeful that doing this as a family, will keep us a family.

My Mom called me tonight to ask a cooking question.  I hope that happens every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bun

The Bun
If you don't like rabbits, you can suck it, shove it and then go soak your head.